|Born||1981 (age 40–41)|
San Diego, California, U.S
|Education||UC San Diego|
University of Rochester
|Known for||Node.js & Deno|
Dahl grew up in San Diego, California. His mother got him an Apple IIc when he was six years old, one of his first experiences with technology. Ryan attended a community college in San Diego and later transferred into UC San Diego where he studied mathematics. He went on to attend grad school for Mathematics at the University of Rochester where he studied algebraic topology, which he found "very abstract and beautiful" for a couple of years but later got bored of it because "it was not so applicable to real life".
After graduating, Dahl entered a Ph.D. program, but eventually dropped out, since he did not want to devote the rest of his life to mathematics. Instead, he left for South America, where he started developing web apps in Ruby.
On May. 27th, 2009, Ryan Dahl released his project.
In January 2012, after having worked on the Node.js project since 2009, Dahl announced that he would step away from the project and turn operational management over to NPM creator and former Joyent employee Isaac Z. Schlueter.
Dahl gave the following reason for moving on from the project:
"After three years of working on Node, this frees me up to work on research projects. I am still an employee at Joyent and will advise from the sidelines but I won’t be involved in the day-to-day bug fixes."— Ryan Dahl
- ^ Frank, Blair Hanley (2017-10-12). "Facebook launches two datasets to improve AI video analysis". Venturebeat.com.
- ^ McCarthy, Kevin (2011-01-31). "Node.js Interview: 4 Questions with Creator Ryan Dahl". Americaninno.com. Retrieved 2017-10-13.
- ^ Harris, Amber (2013-04-01). "The Birth of Node: Where Did it Come From? Creator Ryan Dahl Shares the History - SiliconANGLE". Siliconangle.com. Retrieved 2017-10-13.
- ^ a b Okhotnikov, Andrey. "Interview with Ryan Dahl, Creator of Node.js". LinkedIn. Retrieved 2022-01-27.
- ^ a b "A History of Node.js". BuiltInNode.com. 2016-11-17. Retrieved 2017-12-20.
- ^ "One year with Node.js". Joyent.com. 2015-06-15. Retrieved 2017-12-20.
- ^ O'Dell, J. (2012-01-30). "Node.js creator Ryan Dahl steps away from Node's day-to-day". Venturebeat.com. Retrieved 2017-12-20.
- ^ Krill, Paul (2018-06-21). "Ryan Dahl's Node.js regrets lead to Deno". InfoWorld. Retrieved 2018-09-10.